Thursday, November 17, 2011

Why my back loves pull-ups.


While searching for exercises which could be done at home to keep the body fit and also add some muscle, I encountered this video Super Pull Up Workout. The exercise seemed simple to do in a home environment. I got myself a Pull-up bar and attached it to my bedroom door.

Now one of the things i really liked is that the trainer here specifically mentions how pull ups help your back muscles. And this was one of the main reasons, apart form his awesome physique, that inspired me to do these exercises. As i started doing my pull-ups, slowly and cautiously off course, i realized that my back felt better after the routines. The pain was lesser and the flexibility was more.

Now as much as I know my body I can trace this back to two reasons only:

Strength: Back muscles, specifically the lower back ones, are hard to train and are often ignored. These pull-ups added strength to my back muscles and hence could be reason why my back pain felt reduced.

Stretch: We all know how slipped-disc occurs. The gel which is present in your disc moves out, as the outer wall ruptures, and hence affects the position of your spinal bones. Now, while i was doing my pull-ups, or sometimes just hanging from the bar, i realized that this activity is stretching my spine. I would not like to say that because it stretches the area between two spinal bones it is lending a hand to let the gel based liquid get back in line. But I am sure gravity acts in a way to help the gel get back into the default position.  Or may be it is just a little flexibility it gives to the back in a way normal body stretching exercises give to other body parts.

Bottom line: For me they have really helped me deal with my back pain and i hope that they help you too.

-Out

No comments:

Post a Comment