Sunday, August 14, 2011

Stress: Just like my second girlfriend

I am not sure if this will really work for you.


Stress is like a very bad girlfriend. She will affect you physically, emotionally, mentally and even financially.

Overall stress does not let you live to your maximum abilities. It holds you back. It reduces your productivity and forces you to be mediocre in everything that you do. In extreme moments I would imagine it feels somewhat like a flash grenade has gone off next to you. All your senses are compromised and your thinking is highly impaired.

I have a few experiences on how stress has affected my performances from a routine task in the office to one specific important interview. But I shall focus more on how it affects you physically.

Stress is mostly caused by work/studies or relationship. Mine was all work. Well almost all.
Whenever I was stressed, my muscles would tense up. We hold a lot of our stress tension in our back, neck, and shoulders and if not relieved, it can cause significant pain and tenderness.

Since I had a pre existing back condition, for some reason, few stressful hours would give me much more pain than many routine days put together. I am sure it has to do with something more than just stiffness in the muscles. May be something hormonal but I am not sure.

The two things that helped me deal with stress were having fun at work and regular yoga/ back exercises when I reached home. Fortunately I was working in advertising. Even though the hours are really long, you do have access to a lot of fun things in an agency. Most ( good :) ) seniors believe in getting good work done. Rest is mostly not important.

This might work for you. Or maybe you fancy a few drinks at the end of the day? Do the thing that makes you relax. But do pair this with some back exercises.

-Out

No comments:

Post a Comment